I just now created a DNS Zone in the Azure portal to take care of Snowstormlife.com. Then I copied the name servers from Azure and updated the ones in GoDaddy. Didn’t take long at all.
Over the past two weeks I’ve been doing a lot more AKS studies, which included this excellent MS Learn content. It walks you through creating an well-featured AKS cluster, soup to nuts. You owe it to yourself to take a look.
But I’ve also been doing a lot of studying of the Microsoft Power Platform, specifically Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power Virtual Agents. No code, low code environment, which sounds nice and easy, but the learning curve has been larger than I expected. I recently found a bunch of YouTube videos that I’m working my way through.
- Power Platform sessions at Ignite 2910
- PowerApps new features
- PowerApps #LessCodeMorePower
- Power Platform technical overview
- PowerApps webinars
- PowerApps deep dive
- PowerApps at Microsoft Business Applications Summit 2019
Anyway, that’s been taking up a lot of my time. Soooooo, I decided to shift gears regarding this AKS project.
Miniblog is a nice engine, but all my content is currently at jimblizzard.wordpress.com. I didn’t want to have to try to migrate all my old posts into Miniblog, so I used the WordPress bitnami image and threw it into an AKS cluster, and pointed my old domain name snowstormlife.com at it. I then exported all my wordpress content from wordpress.com and imported it into snowstormlife.com. Worked like a charm. These instructions gave me a great head start. And I pointed Open Live Writer to it so I can compose from my laptop. Easy peasy.
I still need to . . .
-  create a post about my adventures in converting Miniblog into docker-able source code and putting it into an AKS cluster
-  create a post about creating the Azure DevOps pipeline from the Azure DevOps Service in the Azure portal – 5 minutes and done. Maybe a video would be better, since writing all the stuff down would take a lot longer.
-  and a few other odds and ends.
So, head on over to SnowstormLife.com and enjoy. . .
The App is based on MiniBlog.Core by Mads Kristensen
The ultimate goal is to
- Run Miniblog.Core safely and securely in AKS. (All proper network / security / healt checks / secrets management / yada yada yada) in place.
- Deploy updates to the engine in AKS through GitHub CI/CD pipelines, which will include container scans, etc., using blue/green pattern.
- The Docker image will be stored in the Azure Container Registry.
- And other things. . .
For now I’ll document my efforts along the way here in the MD file. Once I get the engine up & running in AKS I’ll start documenting things there.
I’m running Ubuntu in WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) on Windows 10. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10
I also have Docker Desktop. It includes the Docker Engine, CLI client, Kubernetes, etc.
And I’m using Linux containers, not Windows Containers.
I cloned the Miniblog.Core repo from https://github.com/madskristensen/Miniblog.Core.git