Up in the air…

Almost a year ago I bought a mast climber but never had used it until about a month ago. What took me so long? Well,, to be honest, I didn’t want to die. It looked pretty simple to use in the videos I watched online. But I didn’t know if my rig would hold me. After I had my rigging checked (and some crashed parts replaced) by some professionals last January I felt pretty confident that I wouldn’t fall to my death.. Yet I still waited.

Last month I finally got fed up with the genoa hanging up on the spreader end caps every time I tacked. The rubberized caps would grab the sail and wouldn’t let it sweep across to the other side of the boat for several seconds. Every time. (Of course I could leave the genoa furled a bit so it wouldn’t reach the spreaders, but I paid for the whole sail and I wanted to use the whole sail. Besides,the sail works much better when the sail is completely unfurled.

So I climbed the mast. I inched my way up to the spreaders, which are about 30 feet above the water. (The top of the mast is about 45 feet up.) It wasn’t hard, and I wasn’t nervous, even when I looked down. I’d taken a roll of electrical tape with me and wound it around and around the caps.After finishing the job I lingered up there a couple of minutes, taking in the view.

I went up again today to plug a hole in the mast where years ago a steaming light used to be. Almost every time it rained some water would trickle down inside the mast and drip into the cabin. It wasn’t a lot of water, but as the saying goes, keep the people in the boat, keep the water out of the boat. Yesterday we had some flooding rains and more water than usual found its way down the mast and into the cabin. So it was time to go up again.

I took my electrical tape with me and quickly plugged the hole. And this time I took the GoPro with me and took a little video from above. Enjoy!